- Add with the 5 ml syringe 4 ml of water in the test vial.
- Shake the KH-Ind dropping bottle a few times and add 2 drops in the test vial.
- Put the plastic tip firmly on the 1 ml syringe. And draw into the syringe the KH reagent (ensure that the end of the plastic tip is constantly submersed in the KH reagent) till the lower end of the black part of the piston is exactly at the 1.00 ml mark. There will be some air present just below the piston. This is the air which was present between the end of the plastic tip and the piston. This will not influence the test result.
- Add dropwise with the 1 ml syringe the KH reagent to the water in the test tube. Swirl after each drop a second or two. Continue with this until the color changes from blue/green to orange-red or pink color (whichever color is observed first).
- Hold the syringe with the tip facing upward and read the position of the, now the upper end, of the black part of the piston. The syringe has graduations of 0.01 ml. Read the KH or alkalinity value from the table.Natural sea water has a KH of 8 dKH or alkalinity of 2.9 meq/L . KH and alkalinity can be increased with ME Coral Alkalinity additive added slowly.